More than 10 000 customers have registered since Absa launched its secure, private and fully integrated ChatBanking on WhatsApp service on 11 July 2018.
The launch coincided with the unveiling of Absa’s new visual identity as the group separates from Barclays PLC to form a standalone African bank with global scalability. “Our aspiration is to be an entrepreneurial, digitally-led African banking group that makes a real and lasting contribution to the financial wellbeing of our customers and the societies where we operate. We are passionate about innovation and we are immensely proud to offer this innovative platform that will forever change the way our customers do banking. That’s what we call Africanacity,” says Arrie Rautenbach, CE of Absa Retail and Business Banking.
Absa ChatBanking on WhatsApp is an automated messaging system available to Absa account holders. It allows users to perform simple banking on the chat platform they prefer, using conversational language and short cut commands. It is a major breakthrough in banking technology which enables you to conduct your banking without ever having to leave your favourite messenger app.
WhatsApp, a simple, reliable, and private way to talk to anyone in the world, is currently one of the most popular messaging services around the globe. More than 1.5 billion people in over 180 countries use WhatsApp to stay in touch, anytime and anywhere. “Customers will now be able to connect with Absa in a similar way that they chat with their friends, family and business associates,” says Rautenbach.
Changes in customer behaviour require that banking be available anytime, anywhere, and accessible wherever the customer is. “Our customers already use WhatsApp to share photos, have real-time conversations and even solve their business issues,” Rautenbach says. “ChatBanking on WhatsApp will enable cost-effective, safe and easy digital interactions, and offer more accessible and efficient engagement with our customers through a secure interface.”
The launch of ChatBanking on WhatsApp follows the momentum created by the launch of Absa ChatBanking on Facebook Messenger. “We have seen a great take-up on this platform amongst early adopters, specifically for airtime and data purchases. As technology advances and more customers become connected, bringing banking to where our customers are is important to us, especially as we continue our journey to become a digitally-led business driven by innovation. In the near future, customers will be able to receive important messages which they might choose to subscribe to, through the WhatsApp service” Rautenbach adds. “This is the future of banking. It is the future of Absa and it is what our customers want.”
As part of the ground-breaking offering, Absa customers will be able to use ChatBanking on WhatsApp to conduct the following transactions:
- Get the actual and available balance on your transactional account.
- Buy airtime, data or SMS bundles for the cellphone registered to your account.
- Get a mini-statement showing the last three transactions on your account.
- Buy pre-paid electricity for selected municipalities.
- Make a payment to an existing beneficiary that you have paid at least twice before.
- View your Absa Rewards balance, if you are registered for this program.
- Redeem your Absa Rewards balance as cash or airtime.
- View a free mini credit report powered by TransUnion.
Accessing ChatBanking on WhatsApp is simple. In a one-time only process, Absa customers can access the service from their favourite chat platform as long as they hold an Absa account. Customers will also have to install and activate the latest version of the Absa Mobile App on their phones as they will need it to receive secure confirmations to protect their transactions.
Here are the easy steps you need to follow:
- Add Absa as a contact on your phone using 08600 08600.
- Open WhatsApp and find the contact you added.
- Say “hi” to register and start chatting. You will be guided through the process.
Your personal information is protected and your account number and personal details will never be displayed in a chat. “This means that even in the event of your cellphone being stolen, they would not be able to abuse the information,” concludes Rautenbach.
Absa ChatBanking on WhatsApp: In our first 20 days
- 54% of our new users requested a mini credit report on the first day after joining the ChatBanking on WhatsApp platform
- More than 10 000 customers registered for ChatBanking on WhatsApp
- We received a total of 300 000 messages from customers using the platform.
For more information on ChatBanking on WhatsApp, go to the following webpage: https://www.absa.co.za/chatbankingterms.